RACE TO ZERO OFFICAL LAUNCH: Climate Leadership After COVID-19 Framing the New Growth Agenda for Economies, Cities Businesses and Civil Society- 5/6/2020
Friday 5th of June 2020
Time:13:00 - 14:30
Webcast:Link to webcast
Format: Panel discussion with public webcast; Q&A with registered journalists
World Environment Day sees the official launch of Race to Zero, the global COP26 campaign to mobilize leadership and support from businesses, cities, regions, investors for a Healthy, Resilient, Zero Carbon recovery, which creates jobs, unlocks inclusive, sustainable growth and reduces the risk of future shocks.
Virtual conferencing details for this event will be sent in due course.
The campaign – under the stewardship of the UN High Level Climate Champions for the UK and Chile – will rally ‘real economy’ leaders to join the largest ever coalition of leaders – from countries, businesses, cities, regions, investors, and civil society – all committed to the same overarching goal: achieving net zero emissions by 2050 at the very latest.
Already covering about a third of GDP and sounding the drumbeat to COP26, the campaign aims to reframe the innovation and growth agenda in support of a healthier, more inclusive and resilient economy – and what that will take.
Alongside the UK COP26 Presidency, the Chile COP25 Presidency, and UN Climate Change, the UN High-Level Climate Champions for UK & Chile – Nigel Topping and Gonzalo Munoz will give a platform to private sector leaders to make a range of announcements.
At this launch event we will discuss:
- Ambitions and latest plans for COP26
- COVID-19 & climate – the public health case for a resilient, inclusive, zero carbon economy
- The Race to Zero campaign: major new announcements, data, and plans to drive sector-level transformation
- Zero carbon as the new growth & leadership agenda – cities, finance & real economy pioneers
Nigel Topping (HL Climate Champion for UK) and Gonzalo Munoz (HL Climate Champion for Chile) will convene the event with the following participants (TBC):
- Minister Alok Sharma, COP26 President
- Minister Carolina Schmidt, COP25 President
- Minister Sergio Costa (Italian Minister for the Environment, Land and Sea Protection)
- Patricia Espinosa, UN Climate Change Executive Secretary
- Mark Carney, Finance Adviser for COP26
- Dr. Maria Neira, Director of Public Health, WHO
- Warren East, Chief Executive Officer, Rolls-Royce
- Mark Schneider, Chief Executive Officer, Nestlé
3 June 2020